Monday, January 12, 2009

First Day of School

Well, I survived my first day of school (and so did the kids!) Actually, it was a very good day. I'm glad I was very prepared, it always helps. I had 2 students who are still on holiday, and one who got stuck in traffic and never showed up. (His parents called and said they would be late....they were VERY late.....in fact, they never showed up!) The first thing the students said when they walked in the room was "Where are our toys?" I just let them speculate, never telling them they were all boxed up and behind my desk. It is fairly obvious that the students are used to doing as they please, and weren't exactly sure what to do with me at first, but they adjusted. Shortly after we began class, a student came in late, and all of the students took off running down the hall. They were going to get water for the class turtle (that I didn't know we had). I explained that they needed permission to leave the room, and that we didn't run through the school. There were many changes for them, and overall, I think it went well. Please continue to pray for this transition. It's always hard to change the way you do things, especially when you are 7. On a brighter note, it was so amazing to me to be able to discuss the Bible and God with my students. We openned the morning with prayer and our first class was Bible. Throughout the day I was able to say things such as "because God made you special" or "Do you think God would like it if you...?" I'm very excited to get to share my faith openly with my students each day.

4 comments:

Valorie said...

How neat to be able to pray with your kids!!! Will be praying for an easy transition for all of you.

Linda said...

OK, so tell me again how hot it is in Singapore. We got 8 inches of snow on Sat. and more today and blizzard conditions tonight!

Glad your first day went well. What's the turtle's name?

Linda

Nita said...

I know you will do an amazing job with these kids & even though they don't know it now, they are blessed to have you. It is fun to be able to share your faith with your kids openly, but remember it raises the bar even higher on how you handle things & what you say & do. :) I know you are up to the task. We want pictures....more pictures. Love ya Mom

Heidi Kay said...

Sounds like Singapore is really a great place for you!! The church sounds so fun. Thinking of you.

Love, Heidi