Thursday, January 29, 2009

A prayer meeting is not a morgue.

Last night I went to the first Wednesday night prayer meeting for my church. It is a very young church that has only been holding services for 8 weeks now. Normally on Wednesday and Thursday nights, we meet in home groups for Bible study and prayer. However, the last Wednesday of the month, we are going to get together as a church to pray. When we arrived last night, Simon (the pastor) said that he would prefer that people stood up, because he didn't want the prayer meeting to resemble a morgue service. We spent an hour worshiping God for who He is and lifting up the nation of Singapore, its people, and churches before the Lord. It was wonderful! One of the things that I have been praying for myself is that I would have a boldness to share Christ's love with others, rather than just trying to blend in. So, as I was leaving, I stopped to talk to one of the security/cleaning people at the building. (Our church meets at the Civil Service College.) I asked him about his evening, and then asked him if he would be allowed to join us for prayer when he was on duty. He said that actually, as he was making his rounds he was thinking to himself "I want to be in there with them" and had already asked Simon if he could join next time! He is also planning on attending church on Sunday! Isn't God good?

No comments: