Wednesday, January 7, 2009
Day 3
Each day seems to bring new stepping stones towards adjusting here. Yesterday I worked at school most of the day. I was able to organize a lot of things, which was great! I'm getting to a point where I can almost put things back together. I got a phone call right before lunch yesterday from another staff member inviting me to supper with him and his wife. They were visiting a family friend (who happens to have students that attend ICS) and invited me to join them. It was great. While we were driving, I found out that Noelle grew up in Alaska. It turns out that her sister was roommates with one of the teachers that teaches with AK! What a small world! The family we visited lived in the Philippines for 14 years before moving here, so we had wonderful Filipino food with brownies and ice-cream!
I got home late last night and didn't sleep as well as the night before, but that's probably because I didn't realize that Karen had shut the windows, so my room got pretty hot and stuffy. This morning Gretchen told me I was in charge of getting us to school. I was pretty sure that I knew the way, but having her watch made me nervous. It turned out that I did know how to get here, we didn't get lost once, which was probably good because Gretchen warned me that she didn't have much money left on her bus card!
At lunch time today I ventured back to the mall and resisted the urge to eat at Subway again. Probably should have though, I got a chicken sandwich from a BBQ place, but it was pretty slimy...don't think I'll be going back, although they had really friendly service. While I was waiting on my sandwich I went to buy a few snacks...I like to snack while I'm working....and thought you'd be interested in some of the prices.
Chips O'Hoy Cookies: S$6.50 Which equals about $4.41 in US
Ben and Jerry's Ice Cream: S$15=US$10
Gold Fish Crackers (The small bag) S$4.50=US$3.05
Everything else was pretty reasonable. I bought a pack of non American crackers and a package of mentos for only S$2 which is US$1.35. Now I'm back at school working hard, but getting ready to go home shortly.
I will get to have two adventures tonight.....
Adventure #1: Finding my way home all by myself. Gretchen isn't going home after work and I'm meeting someone around 6, so I have to make it all by myself. Seeing as how I haven't taken the bus home yet, this might be interesting!
Adventure #2 Going on a night safari at the Singapore Zoo. I am going with people I have never met, but whose children attend our school. Everyone seems so nice here. Actually, after I accepted the offer for the night safari, I got invited to go to supper in Malaysia. Oh well, maybe next time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment