Sunday, January 25, 2009

I didn't make it to Chinatown tonight, but I did have a good time. Gloria (my friend from church) was going to pick me up around 4:00. At 3:30 she called and changed it to 4:50, at 5:00 she said she'd be here in 10 minutes! It was great! I spent the afternoon resting and reading, and then met Gloria a little after 5. We went to pick up some other people, left there sometime after 6, and finally made it to the Jenny's for supper. Jenny prepared an amazing traditional meal, including the fish that had been steamed whole, eyeballs and all. It was nice to meet more new people. As it turned out, I ended up being in the majority, with one other new comer....two Americans, the most of any one nationality present! I love meeting people from all over the world. Anyway, we mostly just hung out, talked, and ate a lot! I even tried the fish with eyeballs (I didn't eat the eyeballs, but Chad, the newcomer from Texas did) and the prawn/egg dish. It's so fun to see who God is bringing into my life. Most of the people at the supper were not believers, which is very exciting to me. Sometimes I think it's so easy to get in a rut, and spend all of my time doing "churchy" things with "churchy" people. Don't get me wrong, I don't have anything against churchy people, in fact, I totally enjoy spending time with my brothers and sisters, but how can we be a light to the world if we hide from it? I am not very good at meeting people, especially people outside of the church, so I'm very excited that God is bringing them into my life. They are very warm people, and I think they are outdoorsy. We are planning to go rock climbing next weekend, and I found out that all of them have their diving certificates! Gloria is even going to set me up with a diving instructor so I can get mine. (For those of you who don't know, that was going to be my birthday present to myself this year, but I wasn't sure how to go about it....now, Gloria is going to help take care of the details!) Yeah! Anyway, please pray that I'll be able to be a light for Jesus with my new friends, that they would see Christ's love in me, and be drawn to Him. Also, please pray for my students at school, that I would be able to find a balance that meets all of their needs, emotional, physical, and spiritual.

1 comment:

P_31Girl said...

I will also pray that you don't die from fish eyeballs...or from rock climbing...or diving!