Monday, January 5, 2009
Day 2 in Singapore
Well, I made it to day 2! Yesterday was a very full and exhausting day, which was wonderful. We took the bus to school in the morning, where I got an official tour and my first glimpse of my classroom. The lady who left had been teaching here for 7 years and left just about everything, so I have lots of things to sort through. I spent most of the morning sorting and cleaning my classroom with the help of Karen, Gretchen's friend who is visiting from Germany. She is a lot of fun, and VERY helpful. We got a lot done, but there is still a TON to do! At lunch time we took a break and walked to a nearby shopping mall where I had my first meal in Singapore.....Subway. Go figure, I travelled half way around the world for a good old subway melt. After our quick lunch it was off to my doctor appointment, where I was given a number that popped up on this little screen telling me where to go. I had to visit three stations, blood work, chest x-ray, and doctor consultation. The entire process only took about 20 minutes, and we were headed back to the school (after finding Karen in the shopping center.) We worked through the afternoon, and I got a page that my luggage had arrived! PTL! We stayed at school until about 4. I spent some time asking Jeong Chi (the other second grade teacher) questions because the old teacher didn't leave any lesson plans or indications as to where she was. Yikes! I think we have a lot of it figured out based on workbook pages that are complete. Then, we headed back to the apartment. We went out for supper last night with one of Gretchen's friends at a local food court. I ate some ginger onion chicken, which was very good (although it was a little gingery....)By that point, I was exhausted and ready for bed, but I had already asked Gretchen and Karen to keep me up until a reasonable time, so we went shopping instead. I was not much into the shopping, and really have no idea what we even looked at, besides the coat that Karen bought. When we made it back to the apartment around 8 I went straight to bed and slept until 5am. Not too bad on getting rid of jet lag. I actually feel pretty good today, and am back at school trying to organize and get ready for Monday.
Please pray that I'll get everything done that I need to, and that the students will transition well. It's going to be a big change, not only a new teacher, but a different looking classroom as well. I'll try to post some pictures soon. I forgot my camera yesterday, so I don't have very many yet, but I'm working on it today.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Mandy,
I am so enjoying your blog. I feel like I am right there with you in Singapore - except it is freezing cold here - how is the weather there?
Linda
Good to "talk" to you today. Sorry I didn't say goodbye. We lost internet service for awhile. So glad things are going well. You are in our prayers.
Mandy, I'm so glad you're getting things done and that you don't have terrible jet lag. Can't wait to see pictures of your classroom. Hope your first day goes well!
Post a Comment