Thursday, August 27, 2009

Open House

Tonight was my very first open house! It was no ordinary open house! During school today students set three goals for themselves for third grade. Our memory verse this week is Luke 2:52 "And Jesus grew in wisdom, stature, and in favor with God and man." We've been talking about what it means to grow in these areas. Students set an academic goal (wisdom), a spiritual goal (favor with God) and a social goal (favor with men.) (I decided that the stature growth could be met in PE and at home!) After setting goals, students listed them on a number three that they decorated and we hung in the hall. Next they wrote letters to their parents, thanking them for three things, telling them their three goals, and asking them three questions. These letters were at the students' desks when the parents arrived. Students were also encouraged to give their parents a tour of the classroom, letting them see what we do each day. At 6:30 we had a teacher's meeting (mostly to avoid the early birds) and I headed to my classroom a little before 7. When I got there, I already had 3 parents waiting for me at the door! 16 of my students showed up with at lest on of their parents, along with 3 hamsters and a turtle! It was an exciting evening! I think the highlight for many of the parents was seeing pictures from Ludi's wedding this weekend. It was great to learn a little more about my students' families, as well as getting to share about mine. I'm getting caught up, and looking forward to a weekend!

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

How fun! I would like to see pictures too.....