Wednesday, August 26, 2009
Catching Up
Wow! I've had a very busy last few days. There were so many times when I thought "oh, I shoudl blog this" but just didn't find the time to get it done, so, bear with me as I try to recall a few things. Early Wednesday morning I headed to the airport to fly back to the States for my brother's wedding. It was an early morning and had been a late night, but the flight wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be. As I was flying, I was reminded of just how wierd airports/airplanes can be. For example, where else do you sit next to some one for 7 hours before striking up a conversation? On my first flight I sat next to a young man who had moved to Korea when he was 8 years old, and was returning to the States for college. He was very nervous about living in the States, and we talked for about an hour about life in both Aisa and the US. Then, on my second flight, I sat between an older couple. How that happened, I'm not really sure. Anyway, when I sat down, I decided to be sociable, so I greeted the lady and asked her where they were headed. She said "New York" in a short voice and turned the other way. Through the entire 10 hour flight, she did not speak to me, or her husband. She gestured to him, they shared food, but they didn't talk. At one point, I finally had to ask her to let me out so I could use the restroom and she made a big show of how much I was inconviencing her. However, as the plane landed, she finally looked at me and asked if I was staying in LA. I said no, I was flying back to Iowa for my brother's wedding, and she started asking tons of questions. When she found out I lived in Singapore, and would be flying back on Sunday, she patted my shoulder and said "Poor thing, take care." How can you go from sitting next to someone in silence for 10+ hours to being friends? Go figure.
When I finally got home, I was a little mixed up as far time goes. I think I had been so busy the week before flying home, that my body was just plain tired....it didn't matter if it thought it was day or night, it just needed rest.
I spent the day Thursday running errands with Shy and Destiny, and then spent Friday decorating the church for the wedding. Saturday dawned a beautiful day for a wedding. I stayed home with the kids, and went to the church for family pictures around noon. The wedding was beautiful, and I'm excited to have a new sister!
The dance lasted until midnight, at which time I needed to head home to pack. At about 2:00 I realized that sometime during the weekend I had lost my camera, so I made a trip back to town to find it. By the time I finally got home and to bed it was close to 3:00...but the only problem was for the life of my I couldn't sleep. At about 4:30 I finally fell asleep and slept for a whole hour before heading back to the airport. I had a wonderful plan about overcoming jet lag and sleeping at the right times, which would have worked great, if my flight hadn't been delayed for 4 extra hours. When we finally got on board, it was 4:00 in the afternoon, which meant it was morning in Singapore when I finally got to sleep. Luckily even with the four hour delay, I was only an hour late getting home, which should have given me time to sleep, but the only problem was, I wasn't sleepy...I slept the entire 15 hour flight to Hong Kong! So, in the end, I left for school at 6:00 am to try to figure out what was going on. The last couple of days have been great. It's nice to get back into a routine...if only I could get caught up! But, it was all worth it. I'm so thankful I had a chance to be there for the wedding!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow - what a trip back, but so glad to hear you are back safe and sound! You did great playing the piano and I thought it was a really really nice wedding and reception! Only downfall was that your Mom MADE me stay and MADE me to the twist so now I have to go to the chiropractor today - ouch, my back really really hurts today - stupid twist! (couldn't be my age, could it?) :) See you in December!
Post a Comment