Friday, August 7, 2009

One week down!

I survived the first week of "new-teacher" orientation. It has been good to get to know the new teachers before everyone else got back, but it was a lot of review. We've had meetings every morning this week, and then time to work in our classrooms in the afternoon, which is nice because I have a LOT of work to do! I have/had four people's stuff in my room, which needed to be sorted through and organized. It has been quite a task, but my classroom is starting to look like a classroom again instead of a disorganized storage unit. Today was the first day that the returning teachers had to be back. We met this morning for refreshments and then headed to Sentosa (an island connected to Singapore by a bridge) for the day. We did some really cheesy group building activities and then headed off on a GPS scavenger hunt. I was appointed the IT person for our group, which meant I was in charge of the GPS. I'm not sure I was the right person for the job, but what are you going to do? What they failed to mention was that A) the GPS doesn't tell you where there are roads, and where there are just cliffs, and B) it has a zoom button. There were about 12 clues we were supposed to solve, needless to say, we didn't finish. My team came in last place, but at least we had fun. It was a VERY HOT day, so I didn't mind sitting in the shade rather than running around up and down the hills looking for clues about the history of Singapore. And, since I had my principal and the school director in my group, I didn't feel too bad about not completing the task. After our "bonding" time, we headed back to school and had a 4 hour break before tonight's family dinner. I came home and took a nap! It was wonderful. Now we have a three day weekend because Sunday is Singapore's National Day, similar to the 4th of July. I plan to meet up with some friends and spend some time relaxing!

No comments: