Monday, April 6, 2009

Cannot lah

Wednesday night we are having an international dinner for home group at church. Each person is supposed to bring a dish from their home country. My friend Keri volunteered to let me use her oven, so I have been very excited all week. I decided to make hamballs and potato casserole, and my mouth has been watering ever since. So, today I decided to go and try to get the things I needed. I knew it wouldn't be cheap, but I thought I'd be able to get everything I needed. I was wrong. I need 1 lb (450 grams) of ground ham. So, I went to the deli counter, where they sell ham and asked for 450g of ham, minced. Her reply "cannot lah." She explained that the mincer is at the meat counter, not the deli counter. So, I asked if I could buy the meat, and then take it to the meat counter and have them mince it. She went and asked, and the answer was the same "cannot lah." Of course, you can't mix counters! I gave up on the ham for today, and went to get the frozen hash browns. Of course, no such luck. I left the store with a loaf of bread, two slices of turkey (140 grams) and a small container of apple juice for $10. Yikes! I should have skipped the grocery shopping and went out for supper!

1 comment:

Valorie said...

I'll make ya some ham balls! :)