Thursday, March 26, 2009

Spring Break Day 6

Today was my favorite day so far! We started off white water rafting. Well, really we started off with a REALLY LONG transport. We were in the van 2 hours when we finally reached the beginning point. The water looked very calm and not very deep, but they explained that they would be letting water out of a dam soon, and the water would rise and the rapids would appear. The rafting was good, but there was one point that could have gotten really bad. There was a raft pile up in a narrow passage between two rocks. Two boats got stuck, and our boat crashed into them. One family fell out and got trapped under the rafts. The problem was, more rafts were coming and didn't realize the danger. Kendra got knocked out of our boat (sort of) and pulled into a nearby raft. The dad that got trapped under the first raft ended up in ours, and eventually everyone was found. It kinda put a damper on the end of the trip, but thankfully everyone was okay, and no one was hurt too badly. (The boy's arm was scratched up and might be broken.) After the rafting we went to the elephant trek. The family that had been stuck under the raft was in our group, and went with us. I ended up riding an elephant with just my guide. Shortly after we started the trip, he asked me if I wanted to sit up front, so we switched places. It was so much fun! Anytime I started to loose my balance or think I might slip, the elephant put his ears back and held my legs in place. I felt very safe. For this picture, the guide jumped off the back and left me in charge...he took the picture and got back on! This picture shows the group we spent most of the day with. There were two guys from Ireland, a family from Russia, and a family from Iran. It was very interesting to try to communicate and learn from each other. The Russian family seemed to be doing well, which I was very thankful for! After this we had lunch and hiked to a waterfall where we swam and took pictures. Then, it was on to monkey cave to feed the monkeys. They were eating right out of people's hands, but I didn't feed any. (I left my money in the van, and didn't have any food.) Next, some of the people had signed up for ATV rides, which was sort of frustrating because we had to sit and wait for them, but oh well. We walked around and found some pineapples growing. I always thought pineapples grew on trees, but they don't. They grow on the ground, kinda like watermelons. We also got to chat with the Russian family during this time because they didn't sign up for ATVs either. When the ATV group finally got back, we headed back to the hotel where we grabbed some supper and pool time. We just got back from having desert, and are ready to call it a day and go to bed. Tomorrow is our last day in Thailand. I think the plan is to relax and maybe do some shopping before we head back to the airport at 5.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Mandy - What great pictures - I am soooo envious!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful Spring Break - each day I look forward to your new adventures and new pictures!

Linda