Sunday, March 8, 2009

Have I ever mentioned I love Sundays?

Have I ever mentioned that I love Sundays? I love gathering together with other believers, worshiping our God, and getting instruction from His word. Today we talked about the wrath and God, and how seriously He takes sin. Simon explained that if we don't understand God's view of sin, we will never appreciate, and be truly transformed by His forgiveness. I think growing up in the church, it's easy to loose sight of the magnitude of what we deserve, and the hugeness of God's mercy. After church, a bunch of us went out for lunch at a local food court. There were a LOT of people, and I think the air con in our section wasn't working properly, but it was fun. I got a chance to get to know a couple that I have only met in passing. I didn't go to the local church today because I really needed some time alone with God. So, I headed to one of the busiest parts of the island, Sentosa. Sentosa is an island just south of the main island that is connected by a bridge. I took the bus over, not really thinking it would be that busy, but it was. I was beginning to think this was a bad plan, when God gave me the perfect place to spend the afternoon, under a palm tree, near the ocean, with a gentle breeze. I needed to listen to another sermon for the leadership class that I'm taking, so I got out my Bible, notebook, mp3 player and was ready to go. The sermon I listened to was about the importance of Christ's sacrifice on the cross, and the importance of seeing ourselves for who we really are, so that we can better understand God's grace and mercy towards us. Are you noticing a pattern? I sure was. One thing that really stuck out to me was that just as "sinners" need to repent from their sinful ways, "righteous" people need to repent from their SELF righteousness. Because, in and of ourselves, we are not righteous. We are idolatrous, prideful, self-seeking individuals. I really enjoyed my time away with God today, and think I might need to make this my new Sunday pattern (although I did miss my friends at the Singaporean church today.) There were other people around, coming and going, sitting near the rocks off and on, but my only real interruption came in the form of 4 Indian men. They were sitting on the rocks near where I was studying, and kept looking over at me. Finally, one approached and asked if he could have his picture taken with me. I said sure, and so, the picture taking began. I decided later that if I had it to do over again, I would respond "Sure, you can take my picture if I can tell you about Jesus." This is the Sentosa sign on the island off the island off the island. It says that it is the southern most point of the continent of Asia, but there is some debate about that. The sun was just beginning to set as I headed back home. It was a great day! This is the tree I was sitting under. You can't really tell from this picture just how beautiful it really was.

No comments: