Saturday, August 14, 2010
A World Where Students LOVE School
So, today was our secondary open house at ICS. As an elementary teacher, my job was to direct traffic at the bottom of the stairs so any lost looking students and their parents could find the classrooms where their teachers were anxiously waiting to meet them and explain the joys of the upcoming year. I dragged Jess along to meet some of my students from last year who had older siblings who would be attending. First, I must say that I was given the perfect job for the day. I got to sit and chat and offer a friendly "Good morning" to just about everyone on campus, and I got to chat with parents, students, and of course Jess. The morning started off slow as families trickled in. Jess commented that she had never attended an open house at her school, and I tried to explain to her that our students love it. I don't think she was convinced until more students started arriving. First I got the greatest greetings from some of my past students with hugs that just about knocked me down (I'm being serious....a 4th grader running at full speed packs a lot of punch.) Then, as the secondary students came, there were lots of hugs and hellos. Not really sure how to convey the atmosphere in words, but by the end, Jess was convinced that there really is a world where everyone loves coming back to school. (And I'm very thankful that I get to teach in it!)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment