Thursday, August 2, 2012

Blessing in Disguise

Flying back and forth from Singapore is not one of my favorite things to do.  I love getting where I'm going, but I don't enjoy the trips, sitting squashed next to strangers for 15 hours at a time, sitting in airports for hours, or eating disgusting airline food. 

This time when I flew back to Singapore, I thought I would shorten the trip by taking a later flight from Des Moines (actually, it was the cheapest option, but I wasn't complaining.)  Instead of the 6 hours I normally sit in Chicago, I was supposed to have just over an hour to get off my plane, grab a bite to eat, and board for my 15 hour flight to Hong Kong.  However, this was not to be. 

When I arrived in Chicago there was a notice that there was a plane change, and instead of leaving at 1:30 we would be leaving at 5.  I found a cool place to sit with an outlet and chilled for a few extra hours.  At 4:00 I headed back to my gate, to realize that while I had been avoiding the crowds they had moved the flight one more hour to 6.  There was a long line to the counter, and realizing I was going to miss my connecting flight to Singapore, I joined it, hoping to figure out what was going on. 

As I neared the front of the line, I overheard someone say that it was a line for volunteers.  I had already decided that if they offered a voucher for volunteers I would take it.  It was perfect.  Wait a day, get $600, a free motel, and free food.  Can't beat that!  As I celebrated my victory and moved closer to the front of the line, I realized that people in front of my were going to Singapore as well.  They filled me in on the announcements that had been made earlier.  Apparently the flight was overbooked by between 45-75 people!

One of the airline workers came by and asked who was volunteering, keeping a count so he knew exactly how many seats were left.  The plane started to board, and I was still waiting in line.  Finally, the people in front of my made it to the counter and explained that they were volunteering to take a flight the next day.  After a frazzled attempt to rebook them, the exasperated clerk practically yelled "I can't get you a seat tomorrow, it's already full....get on this plane NOW!"  I sheepishly told her that I too was going to Singapore, and she gave me identical instructions. 

Disappointed that I had lost out on the $600 and may have lost my aisle seat, I followed her directions cutting to the front of the line, and boarding the plane.  To my shock, the plane was almost half empty!  I sat down wondering where all the people were hiding.  I waited for the people next to me to show up, but they never did.  Although we left about 25 people standing at the gate, I had an entire row of 3 seats to myself.  I was able to stretch out and sleep for most of the 15 hours!  All I could think of was "God is so good!" 

By the time I arrived in Hong Kong, they had rebooked me on another airline, and I was off to Singapore an hour later.  Again, I had an entire row where I could stretch out and sleep.  I arrived in Singapore at 6:00, only 5.5 hours after my scheduled time, rested and ready for my day. 

Although I was tempted to surcumb to frustration, I realized that even in my hardship, there were blessings in disguise. 

1 comment:

Ruthie said...

Had the same experience this week...however, I let frustration get the best of me. I discovered that the state of SD was not going to recognize my classes to age 8 which is why the platte school hired me. They wanted someone who can teach from birth to 8th grade and took a chance on me. I balled for an hour and questioned God because I felt like I had mislead Platte school and was worried I didn't have a job, but come to find out through the invesitigation, I have all the necessary classes to not only teach to age 8, but grade 8...all I have to do is an intership, and I am considered highly qualified for 2 years as long as the degree is in the works!