Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Embassy Visit
A few weeks ago I realized that my passport was running out of pages. So, on Friday of international week, I headed off to the embassy. After a 15 minute taxi ride, I arrived, showed my American passport to the guard, and was let in. I had to go through security and leave my bag at the front gate. When I found the room I was supposed to be in, there were 6 people already waiting. I looked around, assuming I needed to take a number, but not sure where to get it. There was no one at the counter, and the shades were drawn. After standing there for a few minutes, I finally asked, and was told no one was in, but that I did indeed need a number. They were in the hall, and very poorly marked. After about 20 minutes of waiting, a lady called a name from one of the windows, announcing that they would see the 1:30 appointment. I didn't need an appointment, so I didn't have one. I thought "This might be a long day!" The family, who was applying for a new passport for their daughter, answered some questions, and then the lady sent them back to wait, while some more numbers were called. When it was finally my turn, she took my passport and told me to come back at 3:00 on Monday or any day after Monday. My "appointment" took less than a minute!
They gave me a piece of paper that was my ticket back into the embassy, since they kept my passport, and it said to come any day between 3:00 and 3:30 ONLY! Not a huge margin of time to get business done. So, Wednesday I took off work early, and headed back to the embassy. When my taxi pulled up, there was a very long line. However, I showed the guard my paper, and was led straight through the door. I walked into a different waiting room this time, got in line, and had my passport in no time. When I walked out, I was greeted by a squeal and an adorable 4 year old running to give me a hug. (She is a student at our school.) She said "You're the one who told the story!" (I told a story in chapel during international week, and apparently, it was a hit.) It was so much fun to see someone I knew. Anyway, I'm hoping that is my last trip to the embassy for awhile....not my favorite place to visit.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment