Friday, October 2, 2009
Taxi Ride Conversations
I took a taxi to a friend's house after school today. On the way, I had the most bizarre conversation. (The story would be much funnier if you could hear the different accents, but typing will have to do.) The driver asked me where I was from, and I told him the US. He some how decided that I was the best, most hardworking person around, and was a work a-holic that needed a break. Then, he asked me "you're not married are you?" I said no, and he proceeded to tell me all the "reasons" I needed to be looking for a husband. I told him that sometimes husbands are overrated, that if God has someone for me, He will bring him into my life. The driver was aghast to this, he said "No, the God does not want you to be lazy, he gave you a brain and energy and...you have to use them to search for a husband." Then he asked me what kind of husband I wanted. I said a husband that was a Christian and loved God. He said "Oh, you are Christian, you have it easy, just go to the God house more, you will find a husband there." Then he proceeded to tell me that I'm lucky, because the husbands you find at the "God house" are better than the ones you find at night clubs, they don't last too long! Part of this conversation also included a conversation on the shifting "qualifications" of relationships in Singapore, how men don't want beautiful wives anymore because they tend to cheat more, and vise versa.
From here, he asked me what I thought was the most important thing to do in life. I told him that loving and bringing glory to God were the most important things. He said "I agree 100% with what you say, but also, maintenance." He proceeded to give me WAY TOO MUCH INFORMATION about his personal life, and conversations he has with his wife over coffee in the morning about how to "improve their relationship." His point was actually a good one, that you have to maintain the relationships you have rather than looking for new and "easier" ones, but his delivery could have used some work!
When I finally arrived, I had a good story to tell (the less censored version). You never know what to expect when you get in a cab!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You never know when you get in a cab, huh! I can just see you talking to that guy, telling him what you think and not wanting to do "overkill." At least you had a good story to share.
HA!! That's great! You need to go to the "God house" more!!!
Post a Comment