Saturday, October 3, 2009

Dessert or Vegetable?

I must admit that I wasn't that excited to get up this morning, being Saturday and all, to go to a meeting to talk about the transition of moving to Singapore. However, I was presently surprised, and enjoyed the fellowship with other teachers from my school. After the meeting, the school treated us to Subway (which I thought was kinda funny, since we had just been talking about the importance of jumping INTO the culture, and we went for American...) Free lunch is always a good thing. While we were eating, one of the other teachers mentioned that he wanted to go to see the movie Cloudy with the Chance of Meatballs. Not only did Stephen want to see it, he wanted to see it in 3D. Well, after a week of sitting at home by myself, I was definitely in! We had to go to Vivo City (a very large mall in the middle of the island) for the 3D part, and pay a pretty penny, but hey, lunch had been free. The movie was good, and the fellowship was even better. There were 7 of us who went to the movie, and then 5 of us went to supper afterwards. I had some yummy Indonesian food (it's quickly becoming my favorite) and then some very interesting desert. One of the deserts ordered was longuns and some kind of nut. Longuns are a fruit. It was in a cold sweet liquid. The nuts were the texture of cheese, and didn't really taste that great. The longuns were okay, but overall, it was not my favorite. The second desert we tried was kind of like a snow cone, very Singaporean, but with some different flavors. The three flavors of syrup were rose, lime, and sugarcane. Then, it was topped with sweetened condensed milk and corn. The snow cone part was pretty good, but the corn threw me for a loop! Overall though, it was a good night. The only problem is that I didn't manage to get my work done....a Mexican party on Friday and a movie on Saturday, leaves a lot of undone work going into a new week. But, in the long run, I think it was worth it.

No comments: